7 Good Reasons why it Makes Sense to Have Travel Insurance
Whatever the reason for your travelling, taking out suitable travel insurance is essential, and with the extremely high cost of hospital treatment, falling ill abroad can be very costly. For those who have experienced this, there is no need for explanation, but if you have yet to require medical treatment abroad, you might think travel insurance is a waste of money. Here are a few good reasons why you should be insured every time you are out of your native country, or even taking a domestic holiday.
- Personal Belongings – The kind of things we like to take with us on holiday are quite expensive items, laptops, smartphones, and tablets are all things we don’t want to part with, even if it is only for a few weeks, and if you need to be online for business reasons, you really have no choice but to take along your hardware. Your travel insurance should cover all of your personal belongings, and although there will be a small excess to pay, if ever your device was lost or stolen, you can claim for a new machine. When we are abroad, we are exposed to an entirely new environment, and this alone can cause a person to misplace something, or forget they even took it with them. Thieves target tourists for this very reason, and with the right insurance cover, you will be protected against loss or theft. There would be an excess charge, which the customer would pay, and the insurer would cover the balance. Some policies have a higher excess figure than others, but to generalise, the higher the excess charge, the lower the cost of the policy, and with your broker’s advice, you can settle on a suitable excess figure to pay in the event of a claim.
- Hospital Treatment – If, for any reason, you needed hospital treatment while abroad, the cost could run into thousands of dollars, and if you ever had to be medically repatriated, the bill could be in the six figure bracket. If you have the right travel insurance, and you require any kind of medical treatment, you would be covered. One important thing to remember, if you have an existing medical condition, you must inform your insurer, otherwise the terms of your policy might not cover you. If you are in Australia, and are looking for a good deal on travel insurance, check out Travel Insurance Expert, a website dedicated to helping people source the right travel insurance. The easy to navigate site enables a person to quickly find out how much it will cost for a tailored travel insurance policy, and with several quotes from reputable insurers, you can make an informed decision.
- Holiday Cancellation – If you have the right travel insurance, and the tour operator goes bankrupt, your policy will cover this, and you can claim compensation. From the moment you activate your travel insurance, you are covered against delays and cancellations, so it is a good idea to do this, even if the holiday is months away. If your tour operator can’t confirm your resort accommodation, you will be covered and entitled to claim compensation, and equally, if anything should go wrong with your flight bookings, your travel insurance should cover this. Click here for more detailed information on the consumer’s rights regarding holiday cancellations.
- Tailored Policies to Suit – A reputable broker would have an extensive network of insurers, and with each specialising in different policies, it is possible to tailor travel insurance to suit the client. If, for example, you were planning an extreme holiday in New Zealand, it is possible to obtain specific cover for dangerous activities, and with personal belongings included, you can relax while travelling, knowing you are covered for any eventuality. You might be in your eighties, and would like to tour Europe one more time, or perhaps you want to visit your grandchildren in the US, whatever the circumstances, an established broker can source the ideal travel insurance.
- Accidental Injury – Holidays involve partaking in activities that can be very dangerous and exciting, and the last thing you want is to worry about the consequences of an accident. The vendor that provides the service is usually underinsured, if at all, so you cannot take a chance when paragliding, or hiring a motorcycle, and by taking out specific cover, you can relax, safe in the knowledge that should the worst happen, you won’t have a huge medical bill to come home to. An unfamiliar environment, with different road regulations, elevates the risk of an accident, which is even more of a reason to make sure you and your family are covered for every eventuality.
- Group Policies – If you are travelling in a group, it isn’t wise to take out individual policies, rather you should include everyone in a group policy, and this will ensure that whatever happens, the group are all covered with a comprehensive policy that would include delays while the group waits for one member to receive medical treatment. If the entire family is comprehensively covered, you can relax and enjoy the holiday experience, and a group policy is more affordable.
- Peace of Mind – Travelling abroad can be stressful, and if you do not have adequate insurance, you will always have a slight concern at the back of your mind. If you make contact with a reputable online broker, they can arrange comprehensive cover, and the peace of mind will make the experience much more enjoyable. All sorts of things can happen, a person could easily succumb to a stomach virus, especially eating strange food in an unfamiliar environment. With the high costs of medical treatment abroad, it isn’t worth taking the chance, and by obtaining specific cover, any extreme activities you are planning will be included in your policy.
Whatever your reason for travelling, it makes perfect sense to be fully insured, and with the risk of injury increasing when we travel, you cannot afford to take a chance with your health, no matter how much money you could save.